Why Resistance Bands Are Perfect Strength Training Tools for Women’s Basketball Teams
There are several challenges, especially during the season, that come along with women’s basketball strength training at the high school or collegiate level.
- Access to the weight room for female athletes is a universal issue among many high schools and small colleges. After school, the weight room is often dominated by offseason football or powerlifting making it difficult for female athletes to access the equipment they need.
- Striking a balance between skill training, game planning and conditioning is always a constant struggle for many athletes and coaches, especially if court time comes at a premium.
- Travel is more of an issue at the college level versus high school. Including short strength training workouts on the road may be needed to maintain strength levels.
- Most strength training equipment is not designed for female athletes. As a result most female athletes are relegated to portable equipment like dumbbells, medicine balls or kettlebells.
- Motivating the female basketball athlete to strength train can be challenging especially if she has not been given the necessary training instruction or been fortunate to have access to a weight room early in her career.
Resistance bands have become an effective strength training alternative that eliminates many of the above barriers that come with creating a consistent women’s basketball strength training program.
Benefit 1: Train on or off the road
The portability of a resistance band allows training to occur anywhere there is floor space, which instantly makes the basketball court a weight room option. In turn, this also eliminates the concern for weight room accessibility on or off the road. This same portability factor also allows athletes and coaches to quickly and efficiently build into practice short strength training sessions without leaving the court or dramatically disrupting the practice flow. Often this change of pace not only keeps practice fresh but eases the struggle with balancing skill training, game planning and strength training.
Benefit 2: Unlimited Resistance Options
41-inch continuously looped resistance?Quantum bands?come in a variety of strength levels and can easily adapt to all body structures. As a result, resistance band training is a female-friendly strength training tool that comes with a short learning curve.
Benefit 3: Adapts to any situation
When it comes to creating a women’s basketball strength training program, there are several tools that can be used to get results. However, often it is not the tool but how well the tool can adapt to the circumstances presented. Resistance bands easily adapt to any circumstance, and their unlimited versatility make them a very viable women’s basketball strength training program option in season and out of season.
The following are 10 single band exercises that can be easily performed on the court as a strength circuit or as individual exercises.
- Squat Press
- Split Squat ?
- Seated Row
- Triceps Extension
- Front Squat
- Hammer Curl
- Resisted Pillar
- Reverse Lunge
Up Next: SPEED & AGILITY